Friday

Philadelphia Brownies

Hi everyone!
It has been a loooong few months. I have a ton of updates to give you.
Most importantly, I graduated from college and am now ready to sit for boards!
I'm nervous and excited and so ready to get on with the rest of my life.
I'm adjusting slowly to city life, but it's not coming as naturally as I thought it would.
I get nervous going to new places by myself when J is at work, but I know the more I do it, the easier it will be.
Moving to a new state requires so much paperwork in order to get a new license, a library card, and all the other little things you don't really think of.
I wouldn't change any of it though!
 
It's snowing today and I'm being a shut-in with the pup. Nothing sits better in my tummy on a cold winter day than something deliciously warm.
I've been trying to stay away from sweets but since it's my Dad's birthday and I wanted to bake him something anyways, here's one of my all-time favorite treats- Philadelphia Brownies.
 
 
 
A rendition of this recipe goes way back in my family. It's one that my Grandma loved baking for my Dad. Since I can't find Grandma's recipe, I made my own easy (cheating!) version.
 
What you'll need:
1 Ghirardelli Chocolate Supreme brownie mix
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 package (8oz) Philadelphia cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
 

 
What I love about the Ghirardelli brownies is that it comes with a chocolate syrup. Set the syrup aside, even though the package tells you to add it right away, DON'T! Otherwise, follow the directions on the back of the box. Pour only 2/3 of the mixture into the greased pan, and set it aside (don't put it in the oven yet). Save the other 1/3, along with the syrup packet, and set it aside.
 




With a mixer, beat the cream cheese until it is soft and smooth, then add 1 egg, the sugar, and the vanilla. Mix until it is smooth again.




Plop the entire cream cheese mix on top of the uncooked brownies in the pan. Smooth it all around until it covers most of the top. Then pour the remaining brownie mix over the cream cheese mix. Don't worry if the white shows through. This isn't art class!




Spread the syrup packet evenly over the pan using a knife. You can leave it like this, or make a pretty design using the tip of the knife.



 
Plop the pan in the oven at 325F for about 35-40 minutes or until the cream cheese is a golden color. Wait until the pan is completely cooled before cutting and serving.
Also, these should be refrigerated.... obviously unless they're all gone after one sitting!
 


 
 
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...