Friday

Chocolate Cherry Bars

As my Grandma and I were going through her basement, we found a bunch of recipes mixed in with my Great Grandma's things.
One of the recipes I found was for a simple, quick dessert that I couldn't wait to try.
Because J and I are always watching what we eat, I've had to wait for a special occasion to make it.
This weekend J and I are headed to an end of summer party with my closest friends.
I thought these Chocolate Cherry Bars would be the perfect treat to share.



Bar Ingredients
1 box fudge cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Triple Chocolate Fudge because it was all I could find)
1 21-oz can cherry pie filling
1 tsp almond extract (I used vanilla extract because of someone with a nut allergy)
2 beaten eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all of the bar ingredients (leave the frosting ones for later).
Stir by hand to mix well.
Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 pan.
Bake 25-30 minutes.





Frosting Ingredients
1 cup sugar
5 tbsp margarine
1/3 cup milk
1 cup (6 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips


When the cake has about 8 minutes left, combine all of the frosting ingredients except the chocolate chips into a small saucepan.
Bring to a boil (I used medium-high heat).
Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate.
Keep stirring until you remove the bars from the oven.




Immediately pour the icing over the hot bars.
When the finished product is cool, cut into bars. I cut them into 24, but the recipe recommends 3 dozen.
Maybe 3 dozen was feasible in 1920 portion sizes, but definitely not for this girl.






These are incredibly sweet, so even though they're amazing, after one (or maybe two) you'll be willing to share with friends.

X
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...