Friday

Skinny Pizza

I love me some pizza, but my thighs and gut don't love the calories.
While searching for new recipes to try, I came across a cauliflower pizza crust recipe.
I wasn't immediately sold, but being the avid pizza lover that I am, I had to try it.
My mom has told me about making "mashed potatoes" out of cauliflower, and I've made skinny mac & cheese with a cauliflower filler, so how bad could pizza crust be?
Not bad. At all.



Crust Ingredients:
2 cups chopped cauliflower (about 1/2 of a large head)
1 cup mozzarella cheese (I used fat free)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano flakes
1 large egg
1/2 tsp minced garlic

Topping Ingredients:
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (again, fat free is what I used)
1/2 of a small can of pizza sauce
Your favorite toppings (I went with fresh basil, canned olives, & canned mushrooms)

Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
Take a baking sheet (cookie sheet) flip it upside down & spray the backside with non-stick spray.
It sounds weird, but trust me, you will get a nice crispy crust cooking the pizza on the underside.
Chop the cauliflower in a food processor to make it look like a ground parmesan cheese.
Put it in a bowl, and pop it in the microwave for 8 minutes.
Let it cool until it's just slightly warm.
Don't get turned off if you start to smell cauliflower, it will eventually turn into a real pizza aroma.


Mix the remaining crust ingredients together.
You can mix with a spoon all you want, but until you get your hands in there it won't be mixed enough.


Spread the cauliflower concoction on the backside of the baking sheet into a 9 inch circle.
Make it thin & even throughout.
Pop it in the oven for 15 minutes.
Here is where you will start to smell that famous pizza smell.


Prepare your toppings while the crust is baking.


Remove your crust from the oven, and turn it to broil.
My kitchen lighting is adding to the yellow in this picture, but if you want a more fool-proof white looking crust, only use the egg white.


Start with your sauce, then add all of your toppings.
Pop it back in the oven for 2-4 minutes.
Keep an eye on it because it can go from perfect to crispy black in just seconds when the oven is on broil.






Don't get me wrong, this recipe doesn't taste exactly like real pizza crust, but it's pretty darn close.
It is a little spongey, but if I didn't know what it was made up of, I would never guess cauliflower.
With only 505 calories for the entire pizza, you can eat the whole thing and feel 100% guilt free.

Taste it with your own toppings and tell me what you think!

XX

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...