Monday

Meat-Free Chili

I've come across many chili recipes in my day, but there's nothing I hate more than a surprise meat in my chili.
My husband likes a protein-packed turkey chili, and most restaurants prepare calorie-packed beef chili.
Nothing ruins my appetite faster than an unexpected sausage or other meat hiding beneath the tomato sauce.
This recipe has no surprises, is low-cal, but still packs plenty of punch.
The best part is, it only takes a few minutes to throw together- the stove does the rest.


What you'll need:
1 can (15 oz) red beans
1 can (15 oz) pinto beans
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
1 qt (4 cups) tomato juice
1 small green pepper, diced
1 large white onion, diced
3 tbsp chili powder
1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper



Combine all ingredients into a pot.
Cover on low heat and let simmer for 60-90 minutes, giving it a stir every once in a while.




*Note- if you do want to add meat to this, my recommendation would be to use 2 pounds of your meat choice.
Brown meat it in a skillet first, then add it to the other ingredients.
Simmer for 60-90 minutes and enjoy.
You can also add whatever beans you want, the ones used are just my faves.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...